Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Rambunctious Rays Roll Red Sox




It's been difficult getting into the Buccaneers this year. As a hardcore baseball friend of mine likes to say when the NFL kicks off, "It's still baseball season!" Indeed. I've never had more fun watching baseball than I have this year.

The Tampa Bay Rays' reversal of fortune has been well documented, both locally and nationally. Last night's game against the Red Sox (it actually bled into "today") was a humdinger in a season filled with humdingers.

The Rays were at Fenway last night, and their first-place lead in the AL East had been gnawed down to a nub. The 3 game series was tied 1-1, but the boys in blue and grey battled back (again), taking the formidable Sox into extras with the score tied 1-1.

The pitching from both teams was simply amazing. And to see the Rays match the Sox' payroll-heavy arms with their own deft pitching was a thing of beauty.

It went on into the 14th inning (!), the tension increasing minute by minute, pitch by pitch. Iwamura-san came up and swatted a single, and then my favorite Ray, Rocco Baldelli, followed up with another single to put 2 Rays on base.

By the way, Rocco (Snakes and Arrows) Baldelli's comeback has been one of the truly great stories of the 2008 season. This man is a tough son of a gun, and his story has been truly inspiring. Betrayed by his body, he willed his way back into a Major League lineup. Do we truly understand how difficult it is to play baseball at this level? Rocco stuns me. I've never seen a comeback like this. I'd like to be his cabana boy if he'll have me. I have all the Rush albums on CD. Remastered even!

At any rate, there were two Rays on, the game was tied 1-1, and up came Carlos "Scoop" Pena. Another tough-ass Rays gamer, this man defines intensity. He's in it to win it. And what do you know? Carlos blasted a 3-run home run to give the Rays a 4-1 lead!

I was cheering like a besotted baboon! (Hail Maltus) It was the very defintion of clutch! I immediately called Brother Axis. He was on the road, working hard, but eager for the update.

It wasn't over yet. The Red Sox had one final chance, and they took full advantage. Soon there were two Sox on base, and then David Ortiz came up to bat, with no outs! Jason Hamel was on the mound, and the young pitcher walked the big slugger to load the bases.

My sphincter was in open revolt. Clinching, unclinching. I needed Depends! There was no time for that. Kevin Youklis (does this guy look like an Irish mobster from Southie, or what?) cranked a blast deep to right. Oh no! A grand slam! But the ball died and came down on the warning track for an out. Phew!

One out later and the Rays secured the win! And they took a series from Boston, IN Fenway, for the first time since 1999! The lads now lead the AL East by 2 and a half games.

Congrats Rays. You're the most exciting team in baseball. Now, if you don't mind, I have to suck down a juice box, and then sit in the corner and rock back and forth with my blankie. La La - La La. Jesus H. Christ on the Steppes of Galilee!

~OZONE

1 comment:

WMRF Tampa said...

Now that my friends is how to write up a sporting event!

Way to work in Rocco, Rush, and "Jesus H.. on the steppes of Galilee" (which is CLASSIC Ozone!) I was wondering how long it would take for the "sandled one" to be referenced. Kinda like waiting on the "Scarlet/ Fire" back in the Grateful Dead days.

Oh and thank you for the excellent cell phone play by play on the near Youkilis grand slam. I thought it was gone. Big win. Now go kick that Yankee ass!!

-A