Friday, August 15, 2008

Bravo China!

Really loved the opening ceremonies. Absolutely stunning. All of the costumes, lights, fireworks and the DRUMMERS! Man, that was totally awesome! All synced up, drumming in unison. Truly a sight to behold. Wish I could've been there but according to Morgan Freeman, Visa is the only card accepted at the Olympic games and I'm a MasterCard guy, so that kind of killed it for me. It's reported that you spent somewhere between $100-300 million on the opening ceremony. Did that go on a Visa card?! Man, I'd hate to get THAT bill in the mail. Seriously though, let me tell you, you got your money's worth. I don't think we'll see a finer opening ceremony than yours. London, England, is up next but if I were you England, I'd keep it simple - modest but elegant. No use trying to top China. That'll just piss them off and they'll wind up buying you. Anyway, brilliant ceremony, China. Thank you. I'd be a bigger fan of yours, but those pesky human rights violations of yours keep getting in the way of me getting on board. You know, here in Tampa, we tried to get the Olympics. Oh yeah. That's a no-shitter. Yep, we had a committee and everything. Wined and dined the Olympic muckety-mucks when they came to town. Showed them around our fair city. We'd kick the poor out of the housing complexes they lived in to build Olympic villages and venues. We were in it to win it. But, alas, we we're told not on your fucking life (I'm paraphrasing here) and they laughed all the way back to wherever those Olympic folks go back to. Probably Mount Olympus, I reckon. Honestly, this is one fucked up little burg. We have neighborhoods that flood after a moderate rain shower because our storm water infrastructure was last updated when Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders rode into town back in 1898 before heading to Cuba. I'm exaggerating (a little) of course but you catch my drift. How delusional our city leaders must have been to think that this dysfunctional city could have supported the Olympic games and all that that entails? Maybe it was heatstroke? It does get really hot here. Anyway, thanks again for a truly remarkable opening ceremony. You lead us in gold medals but we lead in overall medals, so there. You may own our country but we have Michael Phelps and Shawn Johnson. U.S.A.! U.S.A.!
All my best,
Roame

1 comment:

WMRF Tampa said...

WMRF Tampa said...
The ceremonies were breathtaking indeed and if only for a few minutes they managed to take my mind off the doping, corruption, and general sleaziness that is so much a part of modern day sports.

As for the Tampa/ Orlando effort headed up by Ed Turanchik, I'm afraid our hosting the event would have been on par with Atlanta's effort, at best. I was in the ATL passing through and seeing the torch lit was pretty cool but, remember that annoying mascot, "Izzy"(short for What Iz It)? You're kidding me right? That was the best you could do?

From what I understand the Chinese displaced many more people putting on that shin dig on then Tampa would've dreamed of. They have indeed served noticed that as this ancient empire continues amass power we will be hearing a lot more from China in the years to come.

-A