If you haven't seen the best film of summer 2008, then I urge you to check out Iron Man. It's a clever depiction of the classic Marvel Comics character -a billionaire indistrialist named Tony Stark who invents a high tech suit to save his life, and to dispel his inner demons as well. The comic was a childhood favorite of mine.
Superhero films have been truly awful over the years. Even this summer's overly hyped "The Dark Knight" was a disappointment. With few exceptions, filmmakers just can't seem to figure out how to translate these wondrous stories and characters to the screen. Iron Man is one of those exceptions.
I received the 2 DVD set for my birthday and it's quite impressive. I sat down last night to watch the film and I enjoyed it far more than the previous two times I saw it in the theater. The first time I think I zoned out a bit from sheer disbelief ("This is a great movie. They actually did it!"). The second time the sound cut out in the theater. It went down to two speakers and I actually had to leave and look for the manager. I never did find him and the sound remained that way for the duration of the showing. Experience ruined. I just couldn't get back into the movie, especially considering Nanook of the North, a non-comics fan, was with me. He'd never seen the film before and he was being cheated out of a exciting theater experience. I was too pissed to pay much attention.
I've read some criticisms of Iron Man, especially the climactic scene, and I have to say I don't agree. The battle was wildly exciting, and I loved the dialogue written for Iron Monger, the villain of the piece. Jeff Bridges, one of America's finest actors, oozes menace here. I was also impressed with Gwyneth Paltrow's performance as Tony Stark's assistant, Pepper Potts. In fact, all the actors were excellent in the film.
Superhero films have been truly awful over the years. Even this summer's overly hyped "The Dark Knight" was a disappointment. With few exceptions, filmmakers just can't seem to figure out how to translate these wondrous stories and characters to the screen. Iron Man is one of those exceptions.
I received the 2 DVD set for my birthday and it's quite impressive. I sat down last night to watch the film and I enjoyed it far more than the previous two times I saw it in the theater. The first time I think I zoned out a bit from sheer disbelief ("This is a great movie. They actually did it!"). The second time the sound cut out in the theater. It went down to two speakers and I actually had to leave and look for the manager. I never did find him and the sound remained that way for the duration of the showing. Experience ruined. I just couldn't get back into the movie, especially considering Nanook of the North, a non-comics fan, was with me. He'd never seen the film before and he was being cheated out of a exciting theater experience. I was too pissed to pay much attention.
I've read some criticisms of Iron Man, especially the climactic scene, and I have to say I don't agree. The battle was wildly exciting, and I loved the dialogue written for Iron Monger, the villain of the piece. Jeff Bridges, one of America's finest actors, oozes menace here. I was also impressed with Gwyneth Paltrow's performance as Tony Stark's assistant, Pepper Potts. In fact, all the actors were excellent in the film.
This movie really shines. It's beautifully directed, the effects are outstanding, the pacing excellent, and Robert Downey Jr. turns in a superb performance as Tony Stark/Iron Man. I'm pleased as hell to have this DVD in my collection. I think I own two other comics-based DVDs - the output has been that bad over the years. There just haven't been that many that I'd like to see again and again. Thankfully Iron Man breaks that trend.
~OZONE

1 comment:
Shell Head Fan,
I was not that dissapointed in the film. The entire package; special effects, script, and acting was excellent. Couldn't have asked for more from a non-comics book fan perspective. Just glad to have the opportunity to share a flick with you.
Nanook
Post a Comment